Sunday, 20 November 2016

Goodbye Goodreads!

As part of my constantly evolving trend to shed myself of unnecessary social media platforms, I have officially deleted my account on Goodreads. Next on the chopping block before wiping out this blog... Facebook.

It may seem a strange move to turn myself into an online hermit, but my only reason for bothering with social networking three years ago was because it was generally considered necessary for authors to have an online presence for their "platform." Three years, three novels, and three novellas into this "marathon" and it's more than abundantly clear that I've already lost the race. My platform is about as stable as house of cards... an empty one, at that. Since maintaining a social networking presence has proven to be nothing more than a needless distraction, based on my dismal sales figures, it's time to trim the fat and get back to the only part of being a published author that actually brings me joy - the writing itself.

No more marketing. No more book trailers. No more lurking in discussion groups, afraid to say anything about my books for fear of being banned. No more wasted time on anything other than producing the best tales I can. If nobody is around to read them, well... all of my efforts for the past three years haven't done much to improve that sad condition. At least now I won't be so stressed out about it.

I was planning on saving this for my 2017 resolution, but the poor sales of Street Savior are proving that I might as well jump straight into divorcing myself from my online presence. I'll continue to write and publish as I have been, and if you happen to stumble across my books by accident, I hope you give them a try. Unlike my pointless blog and Facebook posts and whatnot, I really have poured my heart and soul into my stories.

I'm a writer, not a marketer. I don't have a million bucks for you to put a link to my book on your shitty website. I don't have the time or interest to waste on political debates or viewing pictures of your cat or whatever. Like you, I work during the day. Devoting the few hours of free time afforded to me entirely on my beloved craft simply makes the most sense to me.

I know what you're thinking. "But how can I possibly be a writer without readers or reviewers to enjoy my books?"

To that, all I can say is: just fucking watch me.

No comments:

Post a Comment