Wednesday, 5 June 2013

T4 - part 3

My marketing experiment with Twitter is running into its third week now, and I have to say that the results are leading me back to my original estimation of the platform. As a time waster and a social media hangout, it's beyond compare. However, as a means of increasing book sales, not so much. Even with a stable of close to 2000 followers now, with retweets going out among numerous different hashtag groups and hitting upwards of 5K-30K people a shot, the only book that I hesitantly lay claim to selling as a result of Twitter was the one that I mentioned in part 2 of my post. My hesitation in calling it is because I don't actually have proof that Twitter was the defining factor, rather than a stray reader from Goodreads or Facebook.

I recently joined a couple of new Facebook groups, including one dedicated to readers of paranormal books. On my way to hootsuite to enter in another bevy of tweets for the upcoming 24 hour period, I noticed that someone had posted an inquiry in the group. He was looking for feedback on a good paranormal book to read. I figured, "What the hell," and posted a blurb about my book. Several likes later, one of the members expressed an interest in the story. I followed up with a post about the excerpt on my blog, and I had a book sale within the hour. As easy as that. Not even over two thousand tweets had resulted in such a rapid success.

Goodreads is still proving to be a treasure trove of  sales opportunities, though wading through the often confusing jungle of groups can be a challenge. I'm also finding that blogs that conduct interviews and reviews are worth an author's time to investigate. I credit my last five book sales to these.

I think I may be going about the Twitter experience wrong, so I'm going to try a different tact. I notice an overwhelming number of authors (including myself) doing little beyond flooding tweeps with book ads. I think this oversaturation may be causing readers to turn a blind eye, in much the same way that people tend to zone out when TV commercials air. I'm going to give hootsuite a rest, and try putting the social back in social media. 

My recent "Literary Agent Rejections" post was the most widely read post on the blog on the day of its release. Though I also tweeted it, by far the greatest response came from the two posts I placed in Facebook groups. I'm not discounting Twitter out completely, but from what I'm seeing, it just doesn't compare to other social media sites like Goodreads, Google+, and Facebook. It certainly hasn't proven itself worth the time that could have been better spent writing.

As Mythbusters would say, I think I'll have to call this one "busted!"


4 comments:

  1. You could be right. I'm wasting valuable writing time. I have yet to get to grips with Goodreads so perhaps I should spend less time on Twitter and more with that. I don't know. I'm lucky enough to have a publisher so do many public events that work fine. Anyway thanks for your take on things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes a little while to get into the Goodreads flow. All of those different groups can be a little daunting. There's just so many. Most offer an Author's section, where you can advertise your book. The trick to using Goodreads is to leave your marketing cap at home. Just have fun associating with the wonderful people you'll find there. It's a very open and lighthearted environment, and you'd be amazed how quickly your writing skills can attract the attention of others there.

      I'll be sure to look you up there as well with some suggested groups that you might enjoy. TTYL!

      Delete
  2. I found your blog through the WLC Blog Follows on the World Literary Cafe! Great to connect! I look forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had a book to sale yet. Mostly my retweets are the ones I assign to sort of help authors out. These are usually articles I have read on Writer's Digest or Writer's Relief. I have both my personal account and both facebook fan pages and yet to see anything in terms of business for the Small Business from twitter or anything with the chapbook that just came out with four of my poems in it. I personally always thought twitter wasn't worth spending too much time on. Yes, I keep adding more and more authors to hope that when the time comes and my feeds go from fan pages to that it will help but I can fully see where you are coming from.

    ReplyDelete